This project provides you an opportunity to solve a comprehensive problem in firewall and virtual private network (VPN) implementation at various levels. You will play the role of an employee participating in network design and planning of a specific business situation.
Required Source Information and Tools
Web References: Links to web references in this Instructor Guide and related materials are subject to change without prior notice. These links were last verified on September 18, 2020.
The following tools and resources are needed to complete this project:
§ A web browser and access to the Internet to perform research for the project
§ (Optional) A tool for creating basic network diagrams, such as draw.io or Microsoft PowerPoint
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
§ Apply core competencies learned throughout the course to a single project.
§ Analyze and apply knowledge of firewalls, VPNs, and other network defense measures.
§ Demonstrate logical reasoning and decision-making skills.
Overall Project Scenario
Corporation Techs provides remote and on-site support to small and mid-size businesses. Clients use Corporation Techs’ services to solve problems involving malware removal, to manage data recovery and network issues, and to install hardware and software.
Due to recent developments, most technical representatives will begin working from home within the next six months. Because Corporation Techs provides 24/7 support, its systems and communications pathways must be fully operational at all times. In addition, the company has been experiencing unprecedented growth and is preparing to double its client-facing staff.
You are a junior network architect who is responsible for helping to plan and design network enhancements to create a more secure internal network, and to ensure secure remote access.
Project Part 3: Remote Access and VPNs
As you are aware, many remote users will soon need access to the internal network and services. A remote access and virtual private network (VPN) plan is needed to connect it all together.
The senior network architect has asked you to create the plan that will allow secure remote access to the internal network while preventing unauthorized access. He specifically requested that all information transferred between remote users and the organizational servers be protected against snooping.
For this part of the project, perform the following tasks:
1. Research and recommend the most appropriate VPN technology. The most likely solution is either an Internet Protocol Security (IPSec) VPN or SSL/TLS VPN. Describe the VPN technology and explain why it is the best choice for Corporation Techs.
2. Recommend any other forms of remote access that are relevant and describe how they would be used.
3. Create a draft report detailing all information as supportive documentation.
4. Cite sources, where appropriate.
- Format: Microsoft Word (or compatible)
- Font: Arial, size 12, double-space
- Citation style: Your school’s preferred style guide
- Length of report: 3–4 pages
- I researched and recommended an appropriate VPN technology.
- I described the VPN technology and explained why it is the best choice.
- I recommended other forms of remote access that are relevant and described how they would be used.
- I created a professional, well-developed report with proper documentation, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- I followed the submission guidelines.